Days 3 & 4 - An Action-Packed Double Issue

First off, let me apologize for not posting yesterday. It allowed no room for the musings of the Tech Crew/Blogger. To my delight, the night before last went rooster-free, but there was a placeholder for the overzealous poultry in the shape of a party that reached full swing around 11:00. The morning saw a temporary split in the TSC crew in order to send a few people as early envoys to the Baha'i school in order to finish up work on customizing the operating systems. However, due to a mis-communication, we only got working about 30 minutes before the other group arrived. We started crimping, much to Abe's chagrin, and got (most of) the computers to acknowledge one another's existence over our network. Abe's flash drive also managed to accrue a virus, but not without the infallible input of Charles James Graham Esq.

We returned to Radio Baha'i for speedy sustenance only to be herded off to Quito for a soccer game. To those who were in the dark on this matter, this was the event I was eagerly anticipating before a single thing was planned for this trip. The game was the Quito team, Liga, against another South American team called Club Libertad. I was a little disappointed at first at the turnout of fans to the event, but slowly and surely the fans trickled in until the supporters section was a teeming mass of passion, one jumping fanatic indistinguishable from the next. The game was a rousing 1-0 victory for Liga, a scoreline that seemed vulnerable at times, but proved the doubters wrong upon the referee's final whistle. The bus ride? Worth it even if it were 20 hours, let alone the measly 4 we drove round-trip.

Today came sans sleeping disturbances save the errant snore from Neil. The work at the school consisted of tedious taping and nefarious networking, both of which proved far more grueling on the existing computers of the Baha'i School, which were rife with viruses and other assorted crud that ate up the RAM like the fried plantains we eat for lunch.

We returned, battered but not defeated, and took a quick bus ride up to the Peguche waterfall. Neil and CJ were forced to wedge their heads sideways under the bus' unforgiving ceiling, a source of much humor to gringo and local alike. The falls themselves were beautiful and as the group demonstrated, more than filled with opportunities for ample photos. Our last excursion of the day was to a music shop where we saw traditional pan flutes made and dealt with a rather distracting stray dog who followed us in there.

Tomorrow afternoon we set off for the cloud forest, a weekend getaway much deserved by the hardworking group. And for anyone who was wondering, Lynna is still alive and Madeline loves her mother. (I seem to have become a carrier pigeon.)


Guest Message From CJ:

To the parents of Ben, Kate, Hannah, and Samma; you may or may not see your children alive ever again. What started as a harmless boast in the Houston Airport over a game of Canasta nearly turned violent upon our arrival in Otavalo. I was forced to intervene at several points when the hyena-like jeering of the Samma-Kate team nearly had Ben, a relative newbie to the game, stuttering with rage. You may be skeptical, but when Leah asked what all the hubbub was about, I told her that this was the only card game I had ever witnessed that was based around sarcasm, condescending speech, and copious insults. I took the game after they finished to insure that they wouldn't have a chance to play again.