Days 5 & 6 - Stand Trek

Again, my apologies, one of those days arose wherein there was no time to blog. Yesterday marked our last day working at the Baha'i school, and the teaching process was curtailed by the fact that most of the kids already knew what we were supposed to be teaching them. We also sent a scout team ahead to Quichinche, where they were greeted with a lavish meal of white rice and butter and other such delicacies. Hopefully they didn't just roll out the red carpet to lure us in, only for it to be an all too real remake of Hostel.

The end of our saga at Escuela Baha'i marked the beginning of quite another story of its own: our journey to the Cloud Forest and hot springs. The two and a half hour public bus ride was manageable on the way up, save a few scary moments on the edge of a road that abruptly ended in a sheer cliff face. Once we arrived we were received warmly and taken to our ornate dwellings wherein we would spend the next day and a half with warm showers and permanent bedding. The great anticipation for the hot springs was torn down as quickly as it had appeared, as the “hot springs” came into view. They were little more than glorified swimming pools with warm water. As we got in, everyone shifted from the gringo end of the pool for the duration of our stay.

The morning brought a new day in our little paradise of picturesque scenery, rushing water and lush, dense forest surrounding us. The group hustled to get back from the seductive hot springs and back to our bus stop by 3. In the bustle of cleaning up one of the boy's rooms, Abe had the misfortune of being Neil's victim as he tearfully watched his toothbrush depart from Neil's clutches, carom off the wall and into the trash can filled with the excrement covered toilet paper that the plumbing couldn't handle. (He got a new toothbrush.)

As we boarded the fluorescent blue bus we had little idea what was in store for us. As we tentatively entered the humid, dusty bus, we noticed to our utter dismay that every seat was stuffed and a few were already standing, a fate we soon came to know. The two and half hour joy ride that we had on the way up turned into a three and half hour epic, wherein we occupied the aisles, door bay and even the roof. When we were finally delivered into the busy bus bay, we thanked our respective deities that we could finally depart the overcrowded container that encapsulated human sardines.

I'm far too tired to type coherently and eloquently, so this is all I can churn out before i fall asleep on my keyboarrddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddzk;xdkk;kbn;k;d. I'm back what'd I miss?