June 25 - July 10, 2011

Days 9 & 10 - Fourth of July

Sunday, July 3

Today was very relaxed, as torrential rains dashed our hopes of driving into Accra and hanging out at the beach. But it was a fairly welcome change from the blistering pace we had been moving through the previous week. Some of the more hardened spirits on the team ventured forth into the incessant rain, to buy a new auxiliary cable for a wounded iPod dock and some goodies from other carts. The roads (and therefore the sidewalk) were completely flooded, and getting around became a little game of hot lava monster.

The day continued indoors for the most part, with few blog worthy events. I’ll take a day off from entertaining all of you fine people, and come back tomorrow.

Sasha’s Spotting

Things seemed normal at shoprite. There was a large selection of goods at affordable prices, tabloids, and samples. One find among the aisles in the store seemed slightly strange because it was so Seattle. That was finding Rachel Alexander, ’09 graduate of our very own Garfield High School, among the canned fruits and spices. Apparently Rachel’s dad works here in Ghana and she is staying with him for 5 weeks, today being the last day of her journey.

That’s the Sasha Spotting of the day!

Monday, July 4

A lot happened today.

Everyone woke up pretty early to finish up purchases with the seamstresses. From there, after breakfast, we returned to the primary school to finish up networking the computers. Since the primary school is closer to the center of Accra, the principal had internet in his office, which meant that all of the computers, after running a line to the lab, would have internet. Unfortunately, the slow connection became amplified when it was split between twenty systems, which meant that a lot of work was left to get everything running up to speed.

While Steven, Paul, and myself ran back to get the flash drive with the blog, we checked out a stand that advertised televised live soccer matches. The owner ushered us in, very happy to see us in the town. He proudly declared that we were the first Americans in the “White House” (the name of his restaurant). We quickly drank the Cokes he offered us, and after he refused to take any money, walked back to the school.

After some more troubleshooting with the internet connection, the group headed back to the house all together to meet the drum vendor who came out from Accra. The drums he brought were intricately carved, and sounded great too. He gave us all a complimentary lesson, and we used the skills later on to recreate some of Garfield’s drum cadences.

After dinner, we headed out again to play another game of soccer with the neighborhood kids. We twisted through a few alleys, crossed a railroad track, and came to the same field we had played at before. After about half an hour though, about twenty of the older kids from the village had a pick-up game organized, so our troupe left the field and continued exploring. Eventually we made our way back to the house, and stayed in for the night. Today was a huge highlight because we had so much time to hang out. Hopefully in the coming days we’ll be able to watch a soccer match with some of the locals.