Day 10 - Guest-Written by Zach

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Geyman: I regret to inform you that your son, Benjamin, was tragically struck by a foul, vile case of violent traveler’s diarrhea, rendering him incapable of blogging.

I’m just kidding. But I was kind of bored, so I convinced Ben to let me caress the blog with some of that traditional Zach Wener-Fligner flava. Here goes nothing.

Mick, Ben Huppe and I had planned to wake up before the crack of dawn to greet the sunrise and see if it was worth it for everyone to wake up at an ungodly hour. I assigned Ben to the task of getting me up. Needless to say, when I was awakened not staring into Ben’s brilliant blue eyes, but by light streaming in the windows, I knew Ben had failed. I guess the sunrise can wait.

We forewent breakfast at Mutu’s and opted instead to meet him at the school. Today would be a day that would separate the men from the boys, and the boys from the girls. It would be a day of crimping.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that I can crimp a networking cable in seconds flat. I was eager to show off my prowess. So needless to say, I was disappointed when the group quickly ran out of RJ-45s, the heads that go on the networking cables. With no work to do while we waited on supplies, there was really only one option: we had to go to the beach.

Imagine your average beautiful, sandy, touristy beach. Now turn all the tourists into cows. Add in a ton of litter, a bunch of drunk old Indian guys, and warm, blue water and you’ve got the beach at Karaikal. We headed there with a big group of fourth graders from the school. It was hot and sunny, so everyone on the team applied copious amounts of either sunscreen or Maui Babe “Cancer juice” Suntan lotion.

Unfortunately, there was a rough undertow that made it unable for us to safely swim—a fact we discovered after several team members were carried out to sea. We dipped our feet in the water and collected the shells that were dumped on us in massive quantities by the fourth graders.

After being burned to a collective crisp, we returned to the lab to bathe in Aloe and finish networking. And eventually, we reached the final frontier: Internet. Facebooks were checked, videos of people falling were watched.

Once the lab was finished, we played sports with the kids. Their favorite sport was “running.” They made me race with them like ten times. Sweat was sweated.

Later, we hit up Mutu’s pad for another delicious, spicy, homecooked meal, and returned to our “penthouse suite” (bug-infested, fluorescent-lit school room) to sleep.

I’m tired now. It’s been a long day. My body is caked in dirt, sunscreen, sand, tanning lotion, peeling skin, Aloe Vera, DEET, and B.O. (from all the running). Good night.


Comments are closed on this blog post.