Day 5 - The Honeymoon is Over

I am writing this while looking out over Lake Nicaragua watching the most insane lightning storm I have ever seen. It’s not actually raining at the Finca, but the mainland seems like it is getting nailed. Rain was a part of the TSC team’s day however. We woke up at the normal time and were on schedule to be at the school by 9:30, but as we were packing up it started raining. We were held back a few minutes and had to walk through mud. The rain makes it cooler until the sun comes out, so a storm here and there really isn’t bad.

School was already in session when we arrived. We hit the lab and began to finish up golden imaging. Some of us, like Madeleine, had already done two computers and would end up doing five. Others of us, like me, had done one and would end up doing only two in total. Golden imaging was completed by lunch time.

Our pairs reunited with the Nicaraguan pairs for lunch. Catherine and I were lucky that Francisco (our male Nicaraguan lunch friend) lived less than 30 seconds from the school. The sun was out and it was getting hot. Lunch was rice and beans and conversation went well. The adventure came on the way back. After an hour of eating, we decided it was time to head back to make sure people didn’t get worried about us. Confusion set in when we realized that we were the first people back. Skylar and Punneh showed up, but no one else. Over an hour later, after talking to three different people in the lab, Skylar and Punneh decided they needed to walk across the street to get water. They were gone for 30 minutes, so Catherine started to worry they went back to the Finca while I thought of more logical scenarios like the Nicaraguans had planned on kidnapping us all and our students had just forgotten to poison the food. Just as we had given up waiting and decided to go search for people, they started showing up. Almost two hours after Catherine and I had returned, we got back to the lab.

The next step was networking. Networking is known as the annoying step that requires fine motor skills, patience, and being able to memorize colors. Orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown. See, I can do it. Basically, we are given wires which we have to strip the outer coating off then arrange and straighten tiny little colored wires inside. The wires, once perfectly straight and in order, are crimped in an RJ-45 so it can be plugged into a computer. It actually went better than I thought, and we had no major faults. Of course, we don’t really learn whether all of the cables work until we turn on the computers tomorrow. One Nicaraguan girl, Yensi, stayed with us and helped network. We are going to trying to finish networking on Monday.

Kate was still sick today so she decided to stay home. This turned out to be beneficial because Jacqui also got sick, so they were able to keep each other company. They are both recovering now. Jacqui is better, but Kate is still struggling. Punneh is also not feeling so hot. I’m pretty sure she is just dehydrated. When we got back from lunch, she started playing soccer, came in to rest for 30 seconds, then ran out and played volleyball. Both times she came into the lab panting and sweating and saying, “I can’t keep going. I’m going to pass out!” Yet she kept going. Punneh is also freaking other people out. There was a man at our camp who got bit by a bug and his leg was swollen. Punneh tried to convince him that he had MRSA. She is currently convincing Hannah that the mosquito bites on her legs are staph infection and that it is spreading through her body. No one agrees with her. But we still love her.

After a dinner of rice, beans, and chicken, we sat down and had a team meeting. In the middle of the meeting, the power went out. Some locals had warned us about that, but it wasn’t even raining so we were pretty surprised. It got pitch black for about 10 minutes. Then the power came back on! Then it went out 10 seconds later. Then it came back on! Then I started blogging. Then it went back off. Then it came back on! Now it’s on, but the lightning is still going so we could have some more outages. Mostly we hope there were no surges at the school that could have damaged the computers. But it is extremely unlikely because we have surge protectors. TSC is always prepared. Oh except for that one time when we packed all of the mosquito repellent, sunscreen, and toothpaste in tubs and then got the tubs confiscated and held in customs for 3 days… That could have been planned better.

Tomorrow is a weekend day, so we shall trek to a waterfall with the Nicaraguan students. Apparently it’s really nice. Hopefully Peter and Abe can get some pictures up at some point, but right now that seems like only a dream.

By the way, the title of this was inspired by a quote from Mike after realizing that Bob had locked the keys inside of their honeymoon suite. Mike came to tell me and simply said, “the honeymoon is over.” However, less than a minute later Mike tried to just open the lock with no key and it took two pulls to rip the lock from the door. This doesn’t bode well for the security of our stuff. But, on the bright side, Mike and Bob got back into their room and the honeymoon will continue.

Me gusta el pollo,


(This one means “I like the chicken.”)